Monday, June 30, 2008

I Am Stimulated

The temperature is in the nineties for the third day in a row. That's about 20 degrees warmer than normal. The scientists our Corporate Masters hired say it's no big deal and we should continue consuming. There is no cause for alarm and we certainly don't need to do anything drastic (and costly) like reduce emissions or pollution. And to encourage you to buy even more, here's a stimulus check!

Yep, I got my stimulus check in the mail today. I'm kinda surprised I received one given how much I make. I thought that people earning over a certain amount, like $75,000, would be excluded. My check is for about $450. That's about how much I net in a day. I feel a bit under stimulated. If Georgie boy really wanted to get my attention and stimulate me, he should have matched my bimonthly paycheck.

This last week was very expensive. First I bought a Glock 17 for $500. The next morning, my old German Shepherd was one step from death with a temperature of 105. Well not actually a step from death as she could barely lay down let alone stand or walk. Vet bill for that day was $650. The bill for the next day was $150. Then on Saturday morning, I woke up to find my American Bulldog in so much pain that he tried to bite me. Twice! That's 100 pounds of muscle driving some powerful snapping jaws. I vividly remember the noise of his teeth chomping together. The emergency vet bill for him was $250. So, in one week I spent $1600 plus all my usual bills.

Of course the Glock needs more magazines, a holster, another thousand rounds of ammo, a speed mag loader, and this and that. We don't know what was wrong with the German Shepherd but she has improved. She is very frail with bad arthritis and will continue to need more care until I eventually put her down. She's moving very poorly right now because I had to stop giving her arthritis medicine until her stomach could handle the medicine. The American Bulldog is running around again. Our guess with him is that he overdid it and pinched a nerve. The x-rays show he has hip dysplasia and arthritis. He's lost weight over the last couple of months which may be due to some recurring pain. He's getting pain killers now and if he doesn't gain weight soon, I'll have a $400 MRI done. A friend who runs a dog shelter warns that it may be cancer.

I have one dog, a Malamute and German Shepherd mix, that didn't need emergency care in the last week. I'm not taking any chances with him and am putting him on a glucosamine-MSM regimen. I like big dogs especially German Shepherds but I should consider medium-sized dogs and avoid some of the big dog health problems.

1 comment:

riverwalker said...

I have a Lab/Chow mix! Just love big dawgs!

RW