Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sassy Update

Sassy went to the vet on Thursday to be spayed. She has a whole host of health problems. She has hip dysplasia, coxitia, a hernia, and she's not digesting her food making her grossly underweight and malnourished. Some of her muscles are underdeveloped. She has panic attacks when I leave her alone for even a couple of minutes. Oh, and she eats poop whether it's hers or one of the other dogs.

The vet fixed the hernia while she was being spayed. I have her on some medicine for the coxitia and that appears to be working. To help digestion, I give her a digestive enzyme with her meals. I think that's helping. I give her a cup and half of puppy food with each meal and a couple of heaping tablespoons of cottage cheese. Hopefully she'll start to gain weight and her muscles will develop to normal.

The vet said the hip dysplasia is 100% correctable with a $500 - $600 laser surgery. I have to find out more about this surgery because it's well worth the cost. I'm also interested in having it done for my American Bulldog.

My friend at the dog shelter gave me some doggie downers which I think have reduced the anxiety a little bit, but Sassie still freaks out when I am not around. Tomorrow when I go to work, I'll crate her with a couple of chew toys and hopefully she'll keep it together. I'll call my friend again tomorrow night to see what else can be done. It's been a while since I had a young German Shepherd and I'd forgotten how severe their anxiety can be. I remember now. I gave my previous German Shepherd, Wiley, some natural herb that helps reduce anxiety for a while though I can't remember the name.

On the plus side, Sassy is a sweet girl. I volunteered at dog adoption day yesterday and had her with me most of the time. She did great with the other dogs and with all the strangers petting her. Earlier today we were in the basement and the bulldog was barking at his red ball like he always does, the Malamute was throwing around a squeaky ball, and I started tossing another ball across the room. Sassy ran after the ball, clumsily picked it up and brought it back. Obviously, I encouraged her and she started to toss it around and squeak it. I'm so relieved that she can play; I've encountered so many dogs at the shelter that don't know how.

I think once we get past the anxiety, Sassy will make a nice addition to the household.

No comments: