Since I'm not buying any property with my "found" $69,000 and I couldn't think of anything else to do with it (I am so lame!), I gave it to the mortgage company. Plus, I transferred $9,000 from savings and my last debt has left the building. Tree Farm paid for: check. Subaru paid for: check. House paid for: check!
That's right boys and girls, I am debt free!
The problem, though, with having no debt is that I am now more inclined to give the corporate job the old heave ho. If nothing exceptional happens, at my current spending rate, I should be able to live on my savings for over 20 years. Maybe 30 years including interest income. That's assuming I don't buy any healthcare. 20 years will only get me to 65 years old. So far, I've been extremely healthy, so I expect to live to 80 or so. I don't want to count on Social Security because who knows if it'll be around in 20 years.
I could sell the tree farm sometime in the future. I was toying with putting it up on craigslist for $400,000 firm and see if I get any takers. My neighbor has been trying to sell his 5 acres for $200,000. There is another 10 acres up the road for sale for $160,000. My 40 acres for $10k an acre is a steal!
I could always pick up a dangerous hobby like motorcycling to ensure I don't make it to 80. Or maybe juggling chainsaws. Can I get disability if I am no longer working?
No comments:
Post a Comment