Blah-blah-blah on earth-sheltered houses deleted to move this blog entry along.
Here is the latest in an, apparently, never ending series of earth-sheltered house plans. I call this one the Studio.

The floorplan is approximately 15' by 40'; it's approximate because with concrete block, it's obviously very difficult to get perfect dimensions. The room on the left is essentially a shed for the usual plus a generator and batteries. The center room is a storage room and dry kitchen. And the last room is the "Great Room" with a futon or Murphy bed.
This plan is intended to be built into a slope. To eliminate retaining walls, no attempt will be made to fully cover the side walls. This also allows installation of small windows on each side thereby providing both light and ventilation.
Note that there is no utility room nor bathroom. The great outdoors is one big toilet, so it makes no sense to have a bathroom. Bathing is performed, quickly when cold, outside. If that becomes too much of a hardship, a separate bath house can be built.
Heat is provided by that small rectangle in the center of the Great Room. It is rocket stove cum masonry stove. I don't have a design yet, but I was thinking of a floor to ceiling masonry stove with plenty of heat-retaining mass and a spot to heat a pan and maybe some type of water reservoir to provide warm water for the aforementioned bathing.
The roof will be concrete covered with 4" or so of growing medium to create an earth roof. The interior walls will be concrete block like the exterior walls so that they can help hold up the roof. The concrete roof is definitely overkill, but I'd like to do a little traveling and making the studio into a bunker will give me peace of mind that one of my white-trash neighbors isn't chainsawing his way in while I am slumming in London or Chicago.
I know of a nice secluded spot on my tree farm I could build this. So secluded that I'd be inclined to build it myself without permits. So after construction is complete, my tax and utility bill would be about $65 a year. Well, plus gasoline for the generator until solar panels are installed. But even at $4 a gallon gas, that won't amount to more than my current winter heating bill of $130 to $150 a month.
5 comments:
Is this going to be south orientated?
Yes. North is at the top of the diagram.
I realized a couple of weeks ago that this whole studio would easily fit in one section of the basement of my house thus making me think it's too small. Now I'm considering opening up the whole floor plan and adding a "wing" to the South.
A couple of suggestions. For one, I'd consider recessing the doors a bit under the eaves so you aren't standing in the weather every time you go out. Sloping roof away from doors also makes sense. Nice little feature - a shelf or other unit next to door to put down carried objects is appreciated, especially when unlocking doors.
If the windows are simply for light, consider glass block, as its more energy efficient and a heck of a lot harder to break into from vandals / burglars. You can get in various finishes, including obscured to prevent anyone from looking inside to view the contents.
If air flow is wanted, vents are a better option - simply roll the cmu over so that cavities are in perpendicular to wall, allowing air flow. A screened soffit vent screen can be easily attached to block on outside for bug free air flow. To block cold air, foam inserts can be made to plug vents.
Not sure if I'd count on outdoors for year round poopin 'n peeing. A camping hassock or bag lined 5/6 gallon bucket would be welcome in rainy or cold weather, especially if you have vistors. Women as a rule (there are ALWAYS exceptions) hate to do their business outside, especially afterdark. Just saying is all.
Plan on a summer kitchen as well. Another nearby structure / cooking hut with dog trot between two small rooms would be welcome in the summer, especially if bug screened. Making the outdoors part of your plan makes a lot of sense, but there are some disadvantages as well.
All in all, nice minimalist floor plan. CMU block comes in dimension of multiples of 8" lengths, plus thicknesses of 4, 6, 8 and 12"
Thanks for your suggestions, Anon!
Yes, I will have 3' or so eaves to keep back the rain during the winter and sun during the summer. I tried to put on a flat roof in 3D Home Architect but I'm not so good with the tool.
Women don't like peeing out doors? Damn! Maybe I can find one of them hairy-armpit hippie-wannabe women. I bet they don't mind so much. I can tell them it's good for the compost!
As far as restrooms outside (and showers as well), women can use a poncho and sponge bath or poop while sitting on a block or hassock mentioned above. Their heads are outside so they can look around, while doing their outside business. Works with kids too.
Imperfect solution, but if you have a cover, might work. The old shower curtain on a hula hoop is always there, but beware windy days, lol.
Good luck with your project.
Post a Comment