Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Two Great Dramas

I just finished up my third viewing of the first season of Deadwood
. This was HBO's western that took place in the Black Hills before it was annexed into the United States. A lot of shows fall apart after repeated viewings, but I think I can watch this series a few more times. The characters are multi-dimensional and interesting. My favorite character is the drunk and foul Calamity Jane. The setting of the quickly growing camp is really interesting. In the first couple of episodes we see people still mining for gold and felling trees in the main street. All that is gone a few episodes later and there are even side streets and alleys.

Unfortunately, HBO abruptly ended Deadwood during its second season. I mentioned the series to some friends and when they finally saw some episodes they were a little surprised I was such a fan. Every episode features at least one grisly murder and there is probably no show that uses the word "cocksucker" as often as Deadwood. Definitely check it out.

The other great drama is another HBO series: The Wire. The first thing good about The Wire is that each season is a standalone story arc. Shows like Lost just keep going on and on much like a soap opera. But in the Wire, the writers have a beginning and end for each season. I like that especially with some shows going on past where the writers know where to take them.

The Wire is a crime drama that takes place in Baltimore. The narrative switches between the cops and the criminals both of whom are fully fleshed out characters. This too is another gritty show, though "cocksucker" is not used anywhere near as often as "nigger." There is an awesome and brilliant multiple minute long scene in the first season where the only word used by the two main detectives as they are investigating a crime scene is "fuck." Each use of "fuck" is given it's own intonation and emphasis. Again, absolutely fucking brilliant.

I have watched the first four seasons twice and the fifth season once. The video store near me closed down so I can no longer just run out and get a DVD of The Wire. I'll probably pick up the series sometime this next year.

No comments: