The other day, the Firearm blog mentioned that Tech-SIGHTS will manufacture their M16-style peep sight for an AK-47. I heard about this over a year ago when I bought their peep sight for my Ruger 10/22 and it looks like the new sight is finally making it to production.
Recently I was firing my semi-automatic Saiga 223, which is based on the AK-47, and I was frustrated with its mediocre accuracy. Putting a Tech-SIGHTS peep sight on it will improve two of the inaccuracy causes. Foremost is pencil eraser-like front sight. My 8" target at 100 yards was nearly hidden from view by the front sight. My guess is that creating a narrow sight was simply beyond the machining techniques used to produce the AK-47. I see that independent of the peep sight, Tech-SIGHTS sells a .047 diameter replacement target post for the SKS and AK. For only $5, it's well worth trying.
A short sight radius is the other major sighting problem with the AK-47. The rear sight is in the middle of the rifle instead of the more typical location at the rear of the receiver. Tech-SIGHTS new AK peep sight corrects this problem.
According to the Firearm Blog, the peep sight will cost between $100 and $125. For somebody who already owns an AK-47 and wants to keep it, adding a peep sight is probably worthwhile.
Here's the rub. A semi-automatic AK-47 currently costs $600 or so. Add in another $100 to, hopefully, give it some accuracy. $700 goes a long way to buying an AR-15 that is going to be far more accurate than the peep-sight AK-47. I do think the AK-47 is a good rifle but only in its original automatic configuration. The automatic AK-47 is a great spray and pray gun. For the dramatically slower fire rate of a semi-auto to be effective in a firefight, the rifle needs to be accurate and the AK-47 is just not going to get there.
I'm considering selling my Saiga. If I break down and buy an AR-15, I will rarely shoot the Saiga. One reason I see for keeping the it is to bury it in a cache. There is no way I'd cache a $1000 AR-15, but a $350 rifle is another matter. The Saiga would also be useful as a gun to lend in case the zombies (aka neocons) rise up from the dead and I want to arm my neighbor. Again, there is no way I'd lend out an $1000 AR-15.
Before making any decisions on selling my Saiga, I'll upgrade its target post and see how it does. Anyway, I won't sell until I have an AR-15.
2 comments:
Do yourself a favor and get an AR (or M-4) AND keep your AK. I have both and they are very different animals. Both are good guns within their limitations. I, too, am going to get a set of tech-sights for my AK.
The AK type rifle is at its best in semi auto. If you want a good rifle for inside 200 yards and has relatively cheep ammo then the AK is perfect(yes I know its capable out further but I have not had much luck with it much beyond 300 yards). It is accurate enough for defensive purposes and when compared to a field grade M16/M4, accuracy is similar. The ONLY negative that I see is that it’s not common, IE not a NATO standard. From the sound of it, you have a rifle for a similar reason that I do so I say keep the AK and build the AR later on. That way you have two of the most popular calibers covered. Master the AK now.
Post a Comment