Thursday, February 19, 2009

Costly Ammo

The worst part of shooting is the high cost of ammo. I keep my eye out for sales and deals and I'm not seeing anywhere near the number of sales now that there were a year ago. I reported on the increase in cost of .22lr ammo a year ago. For some time, I have wanted to do an update on the prices, but Bi-Mart has not had Remington Golden Bullet on sale for quite some time.

So far this year, ammo has not only been costly but also hard to find. I check AMMOMAN.COM every few days and until today they haven't had much ammo. It's pretty bizarre to click on a popular caliber like 9mm and see no stock. Finally now they have inventory and are selling 1000 rounds of Wolf 9mm for $219. Looking back at my Advantage Arms Glock Conversion Kit review at the beginning of November, I see the same ammo cost $179. That's about a 20% increase in only 3.5 months!

I'm very glad I standardized on very common, military calibers (i.e. 9mm Luger, 223, 308 Win). Ammo in these calibers are much more available and are cheaper.

Like probably every shooter nowadays, I bought a hand loader and will start loading 9mm. If there is anything that will hinder my shooting, it will be ammo cost.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I know this is an old post but it is relevant to this day.
I went into my local Bi Mart last night and was absolutely shocked at all of the empty ammo shelves.

Empty.

I picked up a brick of off brand 22 LR for Seventeen dollars and some 22 shorts, those things are outrageous now, almost five dollars for fifty shells!
No 30-30, 243, 30 ought 6, nothing.

Scary.

Good luck with your endeavors,

Busted